> >
06 November 2012
The Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy
- Carbon Monoxide Poising

It is our greatest hope that you and your families have come away unscathed by Hurricane Sandy, but the reality is that millions of people from the East Coast to the Midwest have been affected.

A number of deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of improper use or placement of generators have already been reported. Generators ought to be used only in the way specifically instructed by the manufacturer.

  • Never use a generator indoors or in enclosed spaces such as garages or basements.
  • Outdoors, be sure that all generators have at least 3-4 feet of space on all sides and above.
  • Outdoors, do not use generators near windows, even if the windows are closed.
  • Do not attempt to rig the generator in any way other than how the manufacturer has instructed.

If you show symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - dizziness, headaches, nausea, and tiredness - leave the home immediately and call emergency services. DO NOT re-enter the structure until it has been cleared by trained and equipped personnel.

Caution is your friend - carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. If you are using a generator, keep the symptoms associated with poisoning in mind. If you start to experience any of the above symptoms - automatically attribute them to generator use, and have it checked. It is better to be safe than sorry.